Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Obituary: Emma Louise Glenz - Class of 1902

MADISON - Emma Louise Glenz, age 103, died on Monday, August 31, at her residence. Relatives and friends are invited to a visitation on Sunday, September 6, from 11:00 until 12:30 at the CRESS FUNERAL HOME, 3610 Speedway Rd.


Originally published in the Wisconsin State Journal on September 6, 1987


Notes: The obituary I found for Emma Glenz was suprisingly brief. However, I did find several articles about her in local newspapers that provide some more information about this remarkable Madison Central High School alumna. Her class year in based on information in the 1902 Tychoberahn. Greg Fahey is the man responsible for my posthumous introduction to Miss Glenz. In a letter Greg mailed to me a few months ago, he wrote:

"Also, Nadine, when I was taking calls from Bill Blandino at Badger Cab, I would occasionally encounter the august Miss Emma Glenz. I fondly recall the times when we would talk in my cab before she got out at her apartment in the 600 block of East Johnson St. I am hoping that you might have her obituary."


Although I wasn't able to respond to Greg's request immediately, I really appreciate his willingness to direct my attention to Miss Glenz.


The above article was originally published in the Wisconsin State Journal on Thursday, April 11, 1985. You may enlarge the image in your browser window by double-clicking on it.
The above article was originally published in The Capital Timesl on September 1, 1987. You may enlarge the image in your browser window by double-clicking on it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My grandma was a good friend of Emma's and we still have many of Emma's letters and homemade cards. A remarkable woman.

David Warner